Proper Olive Oil
Posted on February 14, 2013
Puglia produces around 40% of Italy’s olive oil and each November every olive press or ‘frantoio’ opens for business as the olives are harvested to be turned into delicious oil.
Rustic Puglia, one of Puglia Places’ premier holiday villas, has been harvesting the olives on its land since 2009 and produces what it’s proud to call proper olive oil.
Its special qualities are:
- It’s organic – although the land isn’t certified as organic because of the mind boggling bureaucracy this involves
- It’s extra virgin – the olives are raced to be pressed 24-48 hours after the first olive has been picked
- It’s single estate – all the olives are from one piece of land so every tree has been subject to the same micro-climate and growing conditions
- It’s unblended – each pressing of oil is kept separate, the oil of different pressings isn’t mixed together
- It’s handpicked – it’s hard work but worth it when you get the final product
- It’s stone ground – the olives are crushed by a millstone as it was done 5000 years ago
- It’s cold pressed – this is the traditional method where the olives are tipped as they are into the mill, modern presses use heat in various ways as it yields more oil but this is the old fashioned way
- It’s unfiltered – some mills filter the oil to remove the sediment but this oil is as it came out.
There’s currently a special offer, instead of £10 for 500ml there’s a limited supply of 750ml available for the same price – that’s 50% extra free!
Please note that the oil is in 1 litre cans but contain 750ml.
Postage costs £3.50 and for multiples or overseas orders please ask for a postage quote.
To order please email using the link below or go to Rustic Puglia’s olive oil page.
Get the latest news & offers about all our holiday villas delivered direct to your inbox